Monday, January 7, 2008

Time to get a new laptop!

Today is the day I buy a new computer :P My previous dinosaur kicked it a few months ago, and now I have been using a sorta hand me down computer which has been making strange noises lately! I also want to take it into lectures so I don't have to write down notes only to type them up later (I'm not just wanting one so I can sit in lectures and look pretentious :P)

But what do I choose? Do I go with a "PC" laptop, preinstalled with vista ('shudder'), buy aforementioned PC laptop and download linux (which I had installed on my previous computer, however open office and myself never got along), or branch out into the world of the "mac" top!

After some initial research, numerous stops at the local online computer store and drooling over the sexy macbooks on the apple site, I have decided to go check some out in the flesh!

My initial experience with the "Vista" laptops is quite disappointing. It takes forever to boot up, and programs keep crashing: not a good first impression! I reason that I could format and install ubuntu, but on my previous computer I found myself booting into XP for certain things so there could be problems here (I could always get used to Vista, but why the hell should I!).

So off to the mac store I go to check out the macbooks! Ofcource, everyone has been to see the macs in the macstore, even to take stupid photos in the photo booth app (well, I know I have!). I have a quick play with one of the macbook pros, and the first thing I notice is how quickly everything loads and how simple to use they are. Plus they come preinstalled with Leopards the new Mac OS! The sales guy gives us a good deal (after I tell him I could easily shave a few hundred by shopping online, so I am going to do just that if he doesn't), and I arrange to come back the following day with the cash! I am on the enlightened path of the mac user!

No comments: